20 September 2007

Another reminder of why I don't drink

A friend of mine shared his story last night. I've heard him several times before but, as usual, there were some things I'd never heard before, including this particularly horrific one.

One night while he was still drinking, he had his young son with him while playing poker at a friends house. He passed out and, during the night, one of the other men took his son upstairs and molested him. This is something my friend has had to live with for many years and that will continue to haunt him for the rest of his life.

Yet another example of the possible consequences of picking up a drink that constitute a fate worse than death, jail or institutions (the three most commonly cited in these parts).

3 comments:

sharonsjourney said...

Oh how horrible is that? My heart goes out to him. I have a friend who was in a car accident, he was driving & his girlfriend was killed, she flew thru the front windshield
It's been quite a few yrs. since it happened, but it haunts him to this day, I'm sure it will for the rest of his life. There are many reasons why I don't drink, I'm glad those are not one of them. Not to be superior, but for the Grace of God, there go I. There are yets to come if I pick up again.

piglet said...

holy crap, i wasn't expecting that. makes my heart ache.

Unknown said...

F'ing heartbreaking.