19 August 2009

Seventeen years

Yesterday was the 17th anniversary of my first A.A. meeting, which marked the beginning of my current spell of continuous sobriety. I can't say I celebrated, because I was too busy doing things that are little more than the blessings of a sober life:
  • Took my car in to have the oil changed and the engine light checked—I not only have a driver's license, I also have a car
  • Worked—I am employable today
  • Chaired a meeting of the local chapter of a professional organization—not only employed, but on the Board of Directors and also Program Chair
  • Attended a funeral
The funeral, ironically enough, was for Bumblebee, someone I sponsored for a while. I suspect I was his last sponsor. I hadn't seem him in at least a year, and sometimes wondered if he named me when asked if he had a sponsor. Then I would wonder if he was even making meetings.

Apparently not. He was definitely out there. He committed suicide by stabbing himself to death in the parking lot of the apartment complex where he lived. In the femoral artery. Thank you, Bumblebee, for keeping it green for me on my anniversary.

Tonight I will celebrate with dinner and a meeting! Praise HP, from whom all blessings flow!

11 comments:

Lauren said...

It seems that I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed today with a very ungrateful attitude trailing me wherever I went. Then I read your post about your friends suicide and found it hard to be anything but grateful for the opportunity of sobriety and experiencing life in all it's glory and all of its hardships. This was a sad story that I seem to hear all to much these days and really puts my bad mood and ungratefullness in check! Thank you for sharing and congrats on Seventeen years! Lauren

God Is said...

He lives (blogwise)! THE Namenlosen Trinker!!!! Wow, I retire from blogging, return and here you are! Very good to see you indeed!

Happy Anniversary! 17. That's great! Congratulations. I'm still blown away you're back.

Sorry about BumbleBee. It's never good when someone dies.

James D. said...

way to go. AA is the best recovery program there is. I recently celebrated 9 years. Keep coming back!

Dr24Hours said...

Congratulations!

Matt Murdock said...

inpatient rehabilitation... sorry to hear about your friend. Suicide is such an awful thing. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the milestone (?) i know i get super sentimental about the church's basement where i attended my first meeting. it's like a shrine to me.

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! I do not know where to start but hope this site will be useful for me.
I will be happy to get any help at the beginning.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you for 17 years! God Bless Bumblebee for reminding us of just how tenuous life can be and of the seriousness of the disease of alcoholism. Hang in there!!