04 March 2008

Today's reflection

The entry for March 4th in Daily Reflections has long been among my favorites:
The essence of all growth is a willingness to make a change for the better and then an unremitting willingness to shoulder whatever responsibility this entails. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 115

By the time I had reached Step Three I had been freed of my dependence on alcohol, but bitter experience has shown me that continuous sobriety requires continuous effort. Every now and then I pause to take a good look at my progress. More and more of my garden is weeded each time I look, but each time I also find new weeds sprouting where I thought I had made my final pass with the blade. As I head back to get the newly sprouted weed (it’s easier when they are young), I take a moment to admire how lush the growing vegetables and flowers are, and my labors are rewarded. My sobriety grows and bears fruit.

The Bill W. quote inspires me, and the garden metaphor is beautiful and accurate. It describes where I am, where I have mostly been for quite some time.

I am a product of God's grace and mercy. Of his grace, because I got something I didn't deserve; of his mercy, because I didn't get what I did deserve.

8 comments:

dAAve said...

I like that garden metaphor/analogy as well.

Grateful said...

I'm a huge fan of "As Bill Sees It". One day.....I'm going to start a meeting using this book as a format. I keep it handy whenever I chair and need a copy. I randomly flip to a page and there's a topic!
Thanks for the great posts.

The Maven said...

I also like the garden analogy. Progress, not perfection. More flowers, less weeds. It all makes sense :)

joy said...

Beautifully said

Mel said...

Beautifully said and well received, sir.
Thank you!

John D.C. Masters said...

Where are you? It's been months since you posted! Is everything alright?

Namenlosen Trinker said...

I'm here, johnnyboy, simply having trouble finding the time and inspiration to post. As to whether everything is alright, it is. Life is life, of course—it goes on with high points and low—but I have no good reason to complain.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for those weeds, they help me to stay here and do what I need to do to keep the garden colorful and alive . . . otherwise I'd probably take it all for granted.

:)